Confidently assess oil spills, their consequences and know how to effectively activate your Oil Pollution Emergency Plan (OPEP).
This interactive and informative course guides you step-by-step through a realistic scenario, providing up-to-date guidance on current legislation, reporting procedures and response techniques.
This training course is essential for all UKCS OIMs and other relevant offshore personnel responsible for assessing oil spills, activating an Oil Pollution Emergency Plan (OPEP) and reporting pollution incidents to the relevant UK authorities.
The accreditation obtained through this course is only recognised within the UK and has no International equivalent under IMO Level standards. It is recommended that any offshore personnel, such as OIMs, likely to have an expanded role or responsibility of operating in International waters should undertake the full IMO Level 2 course, Oil Spill Clearance - On-Scene Commander.
This course accreditation is valid for 3 years.
This course guides you step-by-step through a realistic scenario, providing training on key aspects of oil spill response, such as relevant UK legislation, reporting procedures and response techniques.
You will learn and gain understanding in the following areas:
- Spill response techniques and how to effectively activate an Oil Pollution Emergency Plan (OPEP)
- Assessing the spill and its inherent risks
- The principles of dispersant spraying and the oil weathering process
- How to predict the movement of spilled oil and quantify oil slicks
- Offshore spill reporting procedures required under OPRC, MARPOL and UK legislation
- Completion of the PON 1 reporting pro-forma
- The role of the Secretary of State’s Representative (SOSREP)
- The functions of the Operations Control Unit (OCU) and how it could potentially interface with your company and other relevant government agencies.
This on-demand course can be taken at your own pace; the average time for completion is approximately 1.5 hours.
- Assess and quantify
- Track and sample
Delivered through e-learning, you will have access to OSRL’s online Learning Management System (LMS). This innovative digital learning system allows you to conveniently manage your study time over single or multiple sessions.