Our distance learning approach utilises modern technology to deliver an engaging and informative experience. Through a realistic incident scenario, you'll refresh and develop your operational, tactical, and strategic skills in spill response management while having the flexibility to study in your own environment.
Interactive Learning Platform
Join a virtual classroom where you can interact with instructors and fellow participants. Through discussions, multimedia presentations, and online activities, we simulate the face-to-face learning experience, ensuring you receive the same level of depth and engagement.
For those with soon-to-expire IMO Level 1, 2, or 3 equivalent certificates this course offers revalidation for an additional three years (36 months from the date of the refresher course).
Flexible Learning Schedule
Take control of your learning schedule. Whether you're a busy professional or someone looking for flexibility, our distance learning program allows you to balance your training with other commitments.
This course refreshes all standards of IMO equivalent training from IMO Levels 1-3. The distance learning format leverages technology to deliver a rich learning experience, ensuring you are well-prepared for oil spill response challenges.
Enrol now to renew your certification and enhance your proficiency in oil spill response through our dynamic and flexible distance learning program.
This course refreshes all levels of IMO training so is ideal for those who need to refresh and update their oil spill response knowledge. It is suitable for those who are operational supervisors, fulfil site safety or environmental support positions, including On-Scene Commanders. This course is suitable for the following personnel:
- Operational Supervisors
- Personnel required to operate within an Incident Management Team (IMT) or Emergency Response Team, including site safety positions
- Operational staff responsible for setting strategic and tactical priorities and those required to conduct response tactics
- On-Scene Commanders
- Planning staff with an environmental remit.
Elevate your role and impact within an oil spill response team with our dynamic combination of hands-on table-top exercises and theoretical sessions; designed to empower you with the latest knowledge and skills needed to play a pivotal role in oil spill response.
This course delves into a wide range of essential areas, including:
- Oil Spill Response Management Overview - Gain a comprehensive understanding of the core principles and strategies that underpin effective response management
- Fates and Effects of Oil - Delve into the intricate aspects of oil behaviour and uncover the potential environmental and economic consequences of oil spills, all while emphasising the paramount importance of preparedness
- Response Techniques - Equip yourself with practical insights into response techniques crucial during an incident. Learn how to prepare tactically for offshore and shoreline response activities, ensuring you're ready to act swiftly and efficiently
- Strategic Decision-Making and Media Relations - Understand the art of making strategic decisions under pressure and learn the intricacies of managing media relations during response operations. This course provides a unique opportunity to practice these essential skills
- Waste Management and Spill Termination - Gain expertise in waste management and the crucial process of spill termination. Additionally, explore the legal responsibilities that rest with responsible parties.
This course is based on a Tabletop exercise scenario, you will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to the incident scenario
- Notifications and completion of a Pollution Report Form (POLREP)
- Oil groups and weathering fates
- Modelling Interpretation and trajectory modelling
- Surveillance and quantification
- Dispersants and offshore response strategies
- Shoreline response
- Waste management and spill termination
- Media management