The aim of this course is to provide instruction on how to plan, control and conduct an excavation safely. Candidates will learn what an excavation is; the techniques used to shield and support the excavation and the backfilling procedure.
- Explain what an excavation is
- Identify the need for an Excavation Procedure
- Identify the roles and responsibilities associated with excavations
- Describe the hazards associated with excavations
- Describe how to plan an excavation
- Explain what PPE is required and when a rescue team is required
- Identify and describe excavation support systems
- Identify the safety checks required before work can begin within the excavation
- Identify safety requirements
- Describe how to carry out an excavation
- Describe the backfilling procedure
Excavations can be very dangerous places for personnel in and around the work-site. This course shows candidates how to spot the dangers associated with excavations and what controls are necessary to prevent injury.
The duration of the course is 1 day with a continual assessment throughout.