For most people, dealing with an oil spill is not their day-to-day job and if these learnt skills are not tested on a regular basis there will be the inevitable skill fade.
Industry best practice suggests that refreshing knowledge should be undertaken within three years to maintain a degree of competency. Being personally prepared for an incident will help to induce a level of proficiency into the response.
This is an IMO Level 1-3 standard course certified by the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA). See our Standards page for more information.
Please note, the South Africa session will run after the Oil Spill Response Management Course on 10-12 October, therefore, if this course cannot go ahead, the South Africa Refresher session will be cancelled. Due notification of any cancellation will be given.
- All delegates wishing to retain their existing training certification (certification is only valid for 36 months).
- Any person in an oil pollution related role who would benefit from a knowledge-building refresher
- Delegates who attended an oil spill training course in 2014 or early 2015 will need to attend this course - MCA certifications are valid for up to 3 years.
This course refreshes the following certificates:
- MCA Level 5/5P, (IMO Level 3 equivalent)
- MCA 4/4P, (IMO Level 2 equivalent)
- MCA Level 3/3P, (IMO Level 1 equivalent)
- Existing legislation
- Response techniques and principles
- Specific areas of concern
- New topics that need to be covered.
- Table-top exercise
- MCA and UK contingency plan updates and requirements (UK course)
- Debrief, assessment and feedback