Wednesday, October 2, 2019
OSRL is pleased to announce dates for the annual ITAC meeting, which will be co-hosted by The National Oceanography Centre (NOC), Southampton, UK on 2nd – 4th October 2019.
ITAC’s Key Objectives
- Forum for presenting and exchanging scientific and technical information on Oil Spill Preparedness and Response (OSPR)
- Assembling a diverse group of OSPR professionals
- Articulate industry positions on key international OSPR issues
- Identify and address high consequence issues that impinge on effective oil spill preparedness and response
- Develop dialogue and links between the science/academic community and the response community to enhance mutual understanding, improve science-based decision-making, scientific support to ongoing responses, and to promote relevant oil spill research.
- Engage and encourage new adherents and next generation interest in oil spill preparedness, response, technology, management
- Highlight advances and emerging technologies in oil spill preparedness and response
ITAC’s membership comprises oil industry (i.e. members of OSRL and other GRN OSROs) international organisations (ITOPF, IMO, IOPC etc), Governmental organisations (USCG, NOAA, etc...) R&D institutes (SINTEF, CEDRE, GoMRI etc...). It also includes academic institutes involved in industry backed studies, and other organisations with a non-commercial interest in improving oil spill response.
The connection with academia is an important feature of the ITAC model recognising that industry is a big financial supporter of university-based research but sometimes there has been a disconnect with the sharing of knowledge and outputs from these studies with “industry” which ITAC tries to address.
For more information please contact:
The Industry Technical Advisory Committee (ITAC) is non-commercial and is driven by OSRL as part of our advocacy programme, recognising the benefits of engaging our front-line response staff in industry-focussed technical discussion central to developing more effective oil spill response. We hold an ITAC meeting once per year, hosted in different locations with the meeting chaired by different ITAC members. We try to blend both international themes with items of regional interest according to where the meeting is being held.
The story so far
ITAC is a technical forum which was established in 1996 to address oil spill response (OSR) issues of interest to its member organisations and the wider response community. ITAC projects sought to provide advice, technical support, good-practice guidelines and benchmarking on key issues such as new technological developments in oil spill response techniques, training and response capabilities.
ITAC has evolved over last twenty years and his model has changed in recent times. Recognising that much of the delivery industry technical outputs is now being channelled through the IOGP/IPIECA JIP and the API projects in the US. ITAC has now been cast in the role of supporting outreach and communication for those industry technical outputs to reach a broader church of stakeholders in the wider oil spill community. As such ITAC no longer “delivers” tangible work items but now offers a forum for knowledge sharing and information exchange.