Wednesday, September 28, 2022
ATSEA-2 and OSRL Technical Webinar Series
Webinar #3 – Net Environmental Benefit Analysis (NEBA) / Spill Impact Mitigation Analysis (SIMA) and PNG Case Study
This webinar is the third of the four technical webinars this year as part of the collaboration between ATSEA-2 Regional Project Management Unit (RPMU) and OSRL. This webinar's topic is NEBA / SIMA and PNG Case Study.
The second webinar provided an overview of oil spill response strategies. This webinar builds upon it by describing the necessary considerations for selecting the appropriate and applicable response strategies based on the actual oil spill scenario. The use of NEBA / SIMA as a tool serves as a platform to engage multiple key stakeholders involved during an oil spill incident by:
- understanding the potential consequence based on a worst credible scenario;
- identifying resources at risk and the associated key stakeholders, ranging from national authorities to local governments and communities;
- assessing potential impacts on ecological, socio-economic and cultural resources; and
- selecting the most suitable response strategy through a systematic assessment and evaluating multiple factors in the locality, with inputs from multiple stakeholders.
Furthermore, it is the pleasure of the organizers to have Mr Johnson Maren of Papua New Guinea’s (PNG) National Maritime Safety Authority (NMSA) deliver a case study on oil spill preparedness and response in PNG.
At the end of this 2-hour webinar, the participants should be able to:
- Understand the concept of NEBA/SIMA; and
- Appreciate the oil spill preparedness and response in PNG’s context.
Experts from OSRL will provide their experience in demonstrating the concept of NEBA/SIMA.
Title: Net Environmental Benefit Analysis (NEBA) / Spill Impact Mitigation Analysis (SIMA) and PNG Case Study
Date: 28 September 2022
Time: 13:00 to 15:00 (Singapore Time)
Duration: 2 hours
Audience: Open to the public
Note: The zoom link will be sent to your email upon registering to this Webinar. Please check your Junk or Spam mailbox if you did not receive the email in your Inbox.
If you missed the previous webinar, you could watch the replay on ATSEA-2’s YouTube channel or the OSRL website.
|Webinar||ATSEA-2’s YouTube channel||OSRL Website|
ATSEA-2 is the second phase of the Arafura and Timor Seas Ecosystem Action (ATSEA) Programme that aims to ensure that coastal and marine resources are protected from pollution, degradation and overfishing, among other marine issues. Initiated in 2019, ATSEA-2 is a 5-year programme that involves a regional partnership among the government of Indonesia, Timor-Leste and Papua New Guinea together with the support from the Australian government. For more information, visit their website.